GERD challenge

Hello ff vegetarians!
My father-in-law suffers from GERD (gastro something reflux disease I think -
another term for heartburn).  I have been gently nudging my mother-in-law
towards a more healthy and kind vegetarian or at least partly vegetarian diet
for many reasons and for many years.  Although it is like trying to have a
conversation with a brick wall, I continue to try.  Here is my question:  To
minimize the discomfort of GERD, it is recommended that they eliminate the
following from his diet: tomatoes, vinegar, citrus, onions and family (leeks,
garlic, etc.), or basically anything acidic, but I don't really understand
why the unfortunate elimination of the onion family.  In addition, they have
been trying to live lowfat and low sodium because of his minor heart attack
in the 1970s.  I know that there are websites out there which allow you to
search their archives for recipes that either include or exclude certain
ingredients, and if anyone can either send me information on those or best of
all send me recipes that don't include acid-type foods, I would be forever
indebted to you and I would also score points with my Mother-in-law.  If
these are non-vegetarian websites, please e-mail me privately, as I am able
to come up with many alternatives to meat products for them.
Thank you all so much, I have gotten so many wonderful recipes from this
group and want to thank you all for your time and sincere efforts to keep the
recipes coming, especially at a time like this when nobody really feels like
doing anything - particularly eating or cooking.

Thanks in advance,
Ruth in the surprisingly comfortable Chicago 'burbs where we are praying for
peace and the return to the luxury of safety in our world.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph, is that good men do nothing"

     Edmund Burke