vegetarian bratwurst? and a recipe for soup

Hi y'all-

Today while driving through the part of Texas settled by Germans, my
husband commented that the only thing he missed since becoming a veggie
was good German bratwurst - he spent quite a few years in Germany so he
knows what the real stuff tastes like.

I promised I would see what I could do but I'm not sure that there is
such a thing as vegetarian bratwurst - has anybody heard of any? Or maybe
I could start with vegetarian "sausage" and add to it? Any ideas would be
welcome.

Ruth - I think this counts as comfort food, but I also have included a
recipe for potato soup that adapted from a basic, boring soup recipe.

Susan's Potato Soup

1 onion, chopped
5 c. potato, diced
1 c. white cheese or equivilent cheese substitute (opt)
3/4 c. milk (skim or 2%)
1 Tbl basil
1 Tbl cajun spices ("Tony's" is good)
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp Italian spice mix (oregano, rosemary, thyme, etc.)
1 tsp dijon mustard

Saute onion in large saucepan with your favorite saute medium. Add potato
and saute for 5-10 minutes. Add water to cover and bring to a boil. When
potatoes start to get soft use a potato masher or spoon to soften to the
consistency you like. ( I like to leave some chunks for texture) Add
spices and milk. Reduce heat. Add cheese if desired and let simmer for 10
minutes, stirring occasionally.

Note: I tend to like strong flavors. If you like a more subtle flavor,
start with smaller amounts and adjust till it suits you.

Take care!
Susan