Re: Miso

Stored in the refrigerator, miso should last for months.  Just make sure you put it
in an airtight container.  The white mold that sometimes forms on it is harmless;
you can just scrape it off.

There are many different types of miso, ranging from a light golden color to very
dark reddish brown and varying in taste from mild to strong.

What to do with it?  Hmmmm.  Miso soup is the main thing that comes to mind.  But
you can use it to replace some of the salt in any stew or casserole type dish.

Here's a recipe that I've never tried, but it looks good.  If I come across any
more, I'll post them.

Creamy Herb Miso Dressing

By RON PICKARSKI, CEC

1/2 cup low-fat soymilk
1/4 cup white (or golden) miso
1/4 cup brown rice vinegar
1/4 cup onions, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon honey (*or other sweetener*)
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon coriander powder

In a blender or food processor, combine all the dressing ingredients until smooth.
Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours to allow flavors to develop. Serve with your
favorite salad greens.

Yield: 10 servings (portion size 2 tablespoons)

Hope that helps.

Susan