Re: Chocolate pudding cake

At 08:09 PM 10/4/01 -0500, Hadass Eviatar wrote:
This is the one that I used - sorry for not posting it, but I only had a
hard copy - I've changed computers a couple of times since 1994 8-). It came
out awful. I can think of a few things - I used a smaller pan than mentioned
here, I think it was 6x9 rather than 8x8, and it overflowed a bit. It may
also have overcooked from being in for 40 minutes since it was smaller. But
basically it was dry on top, and the pudding was tasteless 8-(.

> Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 94 10:31:36 +0200
> From:    Annice Grinberg <VSANNICE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>                          CHOCOLATE PUDDING CAKE
>
> 1 cup flour
> 2/3 cup sugar
> 2 Tbsp cocoa
> 2 tsp baking powder
> 1/8 tsp salt
> 1/2 cup water
> 2 Tbsp apple sauce
> 1 tsp vanilla
> 2/3 cup brown sugar
> 1/4 cup cocoa
> 1 3/4 cup hot water

I've made this several times. Since the topping (which becomes the pudding) has so much sugar in it, I decrease the sugar in the cake part by half. I also decrease the water poured over the top. The full 1 3/4 cup makes a syrup. Decreasing it to about 1 cup makes a pudding. I think that once I increased the cocoa in the cake part by about 1 Tbsp with good results. (After measuring it out, I had just a little left in the tin, so I dumped it in.) If you like mocha flavor, you could add a bit of instant coffee to the topping or the cake, as well.

Jenny Herl                  The world has enough for everyone's need, but not
jlherl@xxxxxxxxxx          enough for everyone's greed.
--attributed to Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)