Re: FATFREE Digest V99 #254

>Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 19:14:50 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Michele <draccor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Plums
>
>I just came into about 50 gallons of plums, the small prune type.
>If anyone has good recipes for fresh plums, please send them
>this way.  My mom and I have already canned some but it is slow,
>hard work.  We haven't even made a dent.  Recipes don't need to fit the
>list, as long as it is vegetarian feel free to mail it to me.

  50 gallons!  That's a LOT of plums.  Here's one recipe:

  Stewed Plums

   Put the plums in a pan with some undiluted frozen apple
juice, and some cinnamon.  Simmer until soft.  These are
LOVELY.  Even lovelier with some whipped topping.

  Here's another recipe, I think this is the best pie in the
world (when done with the original crust recipe which is NOT
suitable for this list, unfortunately!).

  Plum Pie

  (I can't help with the crust, you'll have to use a fatfree
crust recipe you have, or just skip the crust altogether, I
think that would work fine.  This pie is an open-face pie,
i.e., only a bottom crust.)

  Halve and pit the plums.  Put in the pie plate, make
circles starting at the outside rim and going in, get as
many plum halves in the plate as you can.  Cover with a LOT
of sugar.  More than you think you'll need.  Maybe 3/4 cup
to 1 cup.  The sugar should be mixed with a good deal of
cinnamon:  maybe 1.5 teaspoons.  Bake for 45-min to an hour
at 350.  Serve with (fatfree, of course!) whipped topping.
Yum.

  I'm sorry for the lack of exact quantities, the pie recipe
came from my GREAT grandmother, they weren't very big on
measuring in those days!  :)

Pat Meadows