Re: grapenuts cereal

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Mike and Jenny wrote:

> Another request for substitution..
> What is a good sub for grapenuts cereal?  I can't get that here in
> Queensland.
> Would a granola type thing be ok?  That's another thing.  Is granola
> toasted or is it raw?
> The only toasted granola/mueslis here are loaded with oil.
>                  Jenny.

Granola is generaly toasted, muesli is raw.  You may be able to make your
own granola.  The fatfree archives (www.fatfree.com) has several recipes,
and here's another that I've adapted to very low fat (the original
suggested nuts and/or sunflower seeds as grain options, and oil, melted
margarine and peanut butter as liquid options).  I haven't made this for
awhile.  I remember at least once letting it brown too much.

                    *  Exported from  MasterCook II  *

                         Basic Dry Cereal Formula

Recipe By     : the _More With Less Cookbook_ by Doris Janzen Longacre
Categories    : Vegetarian                       Vegan
                Breakfast                        Grains

   3      c             rolled oats
   4      c             other grains -- see Directions
   1      c             liquids -- see Directions

Grains:  rolled wheat or barley, wheat germ, whole wheat flour, wheat
bran, wheat grits, cornmeal, soy flour, soy grits, grapenuts, dry milk
solids, spices--cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.

Liquids:  honey, syrup, molasses, brown sugar (use 2 T water with 1/2 c
sugar), fruit juice

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Combine liquid ingredients in a
separate bowl, and pour over dry ingredients.  Bake in large greased
baking pans 30-60 minutes at 275F, stirring often.  Do not overbrown.
Crunchiness depends on proportions and baking times.  For a chunkier
cereal, allow to cool undisturbed, then break into pieces. Add when cool,
as desired:  raisins, chopped dates, dried apples or other dried fruits.

Jenny Herl              |   "The world has enough for everyone's need,
jlherl@xxxxxxxx         |    but not enough for everyone's greed."
University of Illinois  |
Urbana-Champaign        |    --attributed to Mahatma Ghandi (1869-1948)