mixed marriages

As a twenty-year vegetarian with a meat-eating family, I just had to add my
two cents here in response to Dawnn--

I agree with the comments that you really have to get this worked out before
the wedding!  Vegetarianism and fat-free are definitely lifestyles that go
beyond deciding what's for dinner, and you both owe it to each other to come
to a compromise on this one.

I eat no meat but will occasionally cook some chicken or fish for my
family--I'm not one of those people who gets queasy at the thought, and at
least I can cook it in a healthy fashion.  They usually love my veggie
cooking anyway, and my husband is gracious enough to be grateful that I'm
taking the time to do it even if he's not crazy about the meal.  The point
is, you need to come up with something that works for you, and that's going
to depend on what you two can live with.  But try to keep life simple--if he
refuses to eat what you cook, consider 1) yes, having him cook his own (how
about a cookbook for an engagement present?), or 2) stocking your freezer
with some chicken and fish --or sausage, for that matter--portions from the
store that he can microwave to eat along with your cooking, or 3) some other
creative solution.  It's worth working on--so it doesn't become a hassle
later!

Congratulations and good luck!

Jan from Maryland