Salsas

I've been seeing recipes for salsas with fruit in them, but just can't get
my brain to imagine how they could be tasty (no doubt a serious failing on
my part).  I talked to a mango-loving friend who grew up in Panama, and he
hadn't ever eaten fruits like that and couldn't imagine that it could be
good.  At the same time, I find it hard to believe that so many people on
this list could be wrong.  So, could somebody tell me how they eat these
salsas (and chutneys), if they're an acquired taste or a cultural thing (I
live in the Midwest U.S., heart of beef & pork country, and are they eaten
with tortilla chips or what?  I LOVE fruit, but just haven't been able to
bring myself to add hot peppers, bell peppers, or onions to those lovely,
sweet tidbits whose season here is so short or non-existent.

Jane