Re: Unidentified subject!

laurie r zawiskie wrote:

> Can someone tell me exactly how to cook brown rice in the pressure
> cooker?
>
> Laurie

from _Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure_ by Lorna Sass

1 1/2 c brown rice, rinsed and drained
1 3/4 c water
3/4 t salt(I never use)

In a 1 1/2 or 2 qt casserole(I use a souffle dish) combine water and
rice.  Place the rack and 2 c water in cooker.  Lower casserole into
cooker with aluminum strip(fold a 1ft x 2ft piece of aluminum foil over
and double it lengthwise, put it under casserole to lift in and out, air
dry and reuse).

Lock lid in place.  Overhigh heat, bring to high pressure and cook for
20 min(for long grain, Wehani, brown basmati, etc) or 25 min(for short
grain brown).  Allow the pressure to come down naturally for 20 min.
Remove the lid tillting away from you to allow any excess stean to
escape.  If the rice is not quite tender,(never happens to me)
replace(but do not lock) the lid and allow it to steaam for a few more
mnutes in the residual  heat.

Lift the casserole from the cooker with the aid of the foil strip.
Fluff up the rice before serving.

Kate