Hernerakkaa & Caribbean Ric

Hi Everyone -

Here are the recipes I promised. My family loves these. The first is a Finnish
Yellow Split Pea Soup called Hernerakkaa from the Sundays at Moosewood
Restaurant Cookbook - the recipe calls for no fat except for 1 cup heavy cream
as a garnish, which is optional, so this is the only thing I leave out. The
description from the cookbook goes: "This smooth, thick, very filling soup is
a favorite all over Scandinavia. It is often served at traditional wedding
suppers, probably because of its nourishing restorative powers."

Hernerakkaa (Yellow Split Pea Soup)

2 cups dried yellow split peas
8 cups water or vegetable stock
2 medium potatoes
2 large carrots
3 celery stalks
1 large onion
1 turnip, peeled
2 parsnips, peeled
2-3 tsp dry mustard (or 2-3 Tbsp prepared mustard) (or to taste)
dash of allspice
1 tsp ground cumin seeds
1 tsp dried marjoram
1 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp salt (or to taste)
plenty of freshly ground black pepper
dark bread croutons or cubes of toaste (optional)

Rinse the split peas. In a large soup pot, bring the split peas and the water
or stock to a boil. Coarsely chop the vegetables and add them to the water as
it comes to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for about 1-1/2 hours or until
the peas are very soft and almost disintegrating. Use a heat diffuser, if
needed, to prevent scorching.

Puree the soup in batches in a blender or food processor, until it is quite
smooth and an even yellowish color - it will be very thick. {I don't puree it,
it's smooth enough for us already.) Add the spices and herbs and season with
salt and pepper to taste. Reheat gently.

Serve the soup steaming hot, garnished with croutons or cubes of toaste.

-----------------

Caribbean Rice

 From SOAR - Searchable Online Archive of Recipes
(http://soar.Berkeley.EDU/recipes/

2 cups hot cooked rice
11 ounces canned mandarin oranes, drained
8 ounces canned crushed pineapple
1/2 cup chopped red pepper
1/3 sliced green onions
2 Tbsp mango chutney
1/4 tsp ground ginger

Combine all in large skillet over medium high heat. Stir and cook until
ingredients are blended and thoroughly heated.

(Also calls for 1/2 cup slivered almonds and 1/2 cup grated coconut, both
toasted. Since I'm leaving these out because of their high fat content, the
calorie, fat, etc count will be different from that of the original recipe.

I also have a recipe which is very delicious called "Outrageous Two-Night
Orzo," which I think is from SOAR, but then I thought maybe I got it here.
Does it sound familiar - or should I post it?

Zoe from Santa Cruz