RE: mashed potatoes

ne of the things I really miss is mashed potatoes. so I worked out this
rather loose recipe.

Mashed Potatoes

Wash and cut up whatever amount of potatoes you wish. Cook in boiling water
until tender. Drain off liquid and save. With a mixer, gradually add some of
the potato liquid to the potatoes and you reach the desired consistency. Then
add a teaspoon or two of your favorite vegetable broth powder and pepper to
taste. I even add a minced clove of garlic.

I found this recipe in Company Fare by Ronald Johnson. It only took a little
adapting.

Green Beans with Tomatoes

1 pound green beans
1/4 cup vegetable broth
1/4 cup chopped green onions or red onion
1 to 3 cloves gralic, minced
2 to 3 tomatoes, diced or 1 cup canned tomatoes (drained and coarsely
chopped) & 1/4 cup  of their juice
salt & pepper to taste
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil

Trim beans and cut into bite size pieces. In a large pot, heat vegetable
broth and saute onions and garlic until limp. Add tomatoes  and cook 3 to 6
minutes. Add beans, sprinkle with salt & pepper to taste, turn the heat to
low, cover the pan, and cook until the beans are just tender. Uncover the pan
now and then and stir and test for doneness. At the very end stir in the
basil. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Serves 4.
JBennicoff