non-dairy calcium

Having just picked up my computer from the repair shop (after its regular
bimonthly repair...sheech), I noticed when reading backed-up email that
Cynthia asked for calcium rich food ideas.  Here is a small excerpt that I
used in an article for a local newspaper.  (BTW, the article was on
osteoporosis.)
Supplements are fine to take as well, although I wouldn't advise using the
oyster-shell varieties because of toxins.  Calcium gluconate, citrate, and
lactate are better options.  I hope the following provides some insight
into the tasty methods of building bones!

(For comparison, an 8oz glass of milk has 315mg.)

1/2cup tofu with calcium sulfate=130mg     1 cup kale=210mg

1 cup white beans=170mg                          1 cup turnip greens=250mg

1 cup baked beans=163mg                         1 cup broccoli=140mg

1/2 can salmon with bones=242mg             1 cup collard greens=360mg

8 sardines with bones=153mg                     1 cup bok choy=250mg

1 Tbsp blackstrap molasses=140mg            10 dried figs=270mg

In Canada I believe the RDA for calcium has recently been increased to
1500mg for women.  With luck a variety of the above will boost your calcium
intake  without too much boredom.

Sharon

Sharon M.  BSc(Hons)Ost, MRO MGO
Reg'd Osteopath