Mashed Potatoes

Shawn Lovley asked for a mashed potato recipe. This is a big hit at
our house. Peel a half dozen medium sized potatoes and cut in chunks
no bigger than a golf ball. I like the brown ones you buy by the
bagful, red ones (which we call "new potatoes" in Texas) are good
too, white ones take forever to cook. Peel a half dozen big cloves of
garlic. Barely cover the potatoes with water, add the garlic cloves,
and boil gently until the potatoes are well done (they'll break apart
easily with a fork and the water is starting to thicken a bit). The
garlic will be done by this time too, and you will long since have
smelled it cooking - mmmm!. Fish out the potatoes and garlic with a
slotted spoon and start whipping them in a mixer, slowly at first or
they'll fly all over the counter - this is where the mighty
Kitchen-Aid is worth its high price. Slowly add enough of the cooking
water to make the mashed potatoes the consistency you like. Use a
little skim milk if you run out of cooking water. Don't add too
much too soon - you can always make dry potatoes moister, but it's
hard to go the other way. Add salt and pepper to taste, either mixed
into the potatoes or at the table.

--
Bob Simmons
Houston, TX