RE:Amish Friendship Bread

>Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 15:50:47 -0400
>From: Sandra Kidd <SKIDD@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Amish Friendship Bread
>
>A while back I recall seeing someone post about his bread to the list,
either the
>recipe or how to modify the recipe that is passed around with the
starter.  A
>friend "kindly "  dropped this bag of goo on my desk the other day
along with
>the recipe for Amish Friendship Bread (kind of a chain letter thing).
I am
>guessing the bag of goo is the starter.  I am ok with the steps for
feeding it, but
>when I came to the recipe to actually make the bread, it requires 1 cup
of oil.
>Has anyone had success with making this bread with substitutes?  I
would
>appreciate any help you have to offer as I feel that I should make the
bread,
>since she gave me the starter, but I refuse to make it with that amount
of oil.

>TIA
>Sandra (skidd@xxxxxxxxxxx)

I received this "starter" a few years ago.  I didn't add the oil to the
recipe and it turned out fine.  But, I didn't like the bread itself.
Next time I made it, I improvised and did not add the pudding, oil, and
I added a lot more flour.  I didn't like the really slimey texture of
the finished bread from the original recipe.

As a side note:  It makes a lot of bread if you don't end up giving a
lot of the starter away so I started freezing it.  Freezing does not
harm the starter.

Kathy