Whole Grains

There was a question about why whole grains over refined, and something
about how the 2 are digested differently.  One response was that we
chew whole grains differently.

I think that the true difference in the digestion of whole grains is
that, because they contain the germ and the bran, there is far more
fiber in a whole grain, such as brown rice.  This fiber slows down the
digestion process and allows the sugars (carbs) to enter the blood
stream at a slower more steady rate.  I believe that this is why whole
grains are digested differently, however, I would love more
information.  My McDougall is at home so this is just from memory and I
apologize for any inaccuracies.