Re: FATFREE Digest V96 #223

Hi Muriel!

>I'm another fan of short-grain brown rice and buy it as my staple brown
>rice in bulk at the HFS.  Lisa, your sizzling rice soup sounds very
>tasty!  (especially right now, when it is so unseasonably and delightfully
>cool here in Virginia)
>Can you supply a recipe or a how-to?  Thanks!

Sure!  Someone also asked me to do this off the list, but his address wasn't
working, so here it is for you both.....

Sizzling Rice Soup

Rice Patties
1/2c brown rice, uncooked, short grain
1 1/3c water
(it calls for oil here, I'll omit it for the list, and it works fine in real
life :)

Soup
1/4c rice wine, or mirin
1c onion, thinly sliced
1 celery stalk, sliced diagonally
1/2c shiitake mushroms, sliced thin
2c napa cabbage, thinly sliced
4c vegetable broth
1-2t miso
soy sauce to taste

For rice patties, combine rice and water in a medium saucepan.  Bring to a
boil, cover pan, reduce heat and cook until rice is sticky, about 60 mins.
Allow to sit until cool enough to handle. (I cook the rice for 45 mins, and
let stand covered for 15 to steam it done without burning)

Preheat oven to 350.  Form rice into 6 patties.  Fry on nonstick skillet
until lightly browned, turning once (original recipe called for using oil in
a wok, but why do that? :)
Place on baking sheet and keep hot in the oven <---very important

For soup, place wok over med heat and pour in rice wine or mirin; add onion
and stir fry until soft but not browned.  Add celery, mushrooms, and
cabbage; stir fry until lightly softened, about 5-8 mins.

Add broth and simmer 10 mins.  Scoop out 1/4c of hot soup and dissolve miso
in it, then return to wok.  Season to taste with soy sauce and serve.

To serve, be sure rice patties are HOT, not just warm.  Place 1 patty in
each of 6 preheated soup bowls.  At the table, quickly pour hot soup over
rice.  It sizzles!  Serve immediately.

Recipe by Mary Carroll
 From the Best of Vegetarian Times recipe cards
Lisa Greenwood