Tempeh

> My past attempts to use tempeh have left me rather disgusted, but,
strangely
> enough, and to my husband's mortification, I want to try again. I am
hoping
> to gain some insight, in general, about tempeh, from some of you that are
> well-seasoned "users".   It is one of the last vegetarian challenges I
have

Catching up on old emails. I make a tempeh stew frequently and we really
love it.  No absolute recipe, but it goes something like this, feel free to
vary ingredients to suit your taste.

1 pound tempeh, any kind, cut into cubes, say 1 inch square or so
1 onion, chopped
1/3 or 1/2 pound shitake mushrooms, or whatever you have
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 or 2 carrots, chopped
water and/or red wine
fresh or dried herbs, sage is wonderful, thyme, etc.
garlic
soy sauce or salt
freshly ground pepper
flour

brown the tempeh in a heavy skillet with a few drops of oil, or a quick
spray or veggie oil.
Brown well on all sides, this is key for the full flavor.
Add in the onions, celery and carrots, sauté until they cook a bit and begin
to release their fragrance, sprinkle with a dash of salt or soy sauce.
Add sliced mushrooms, sauté until they begin to release their liquid.
add in as much crush garlic as you dare and a generous amount of herbs, say
a good teaspoon dry or a tablespoon fresh, or more, lots of freshly ground
pepper.

Stir in about 2 or 3 tablespoons flour, stir and cook so it is no longer
"raw".  Slow add in 3 cups liquid, I like a combination red wine and water
or veggie broth.  Stir to mix with the flour and keep stirring until it is
smooth and comes to a simmer, bring to nearly a boil, reduce to a simmer and
let it go for 30 minutes or so.  Taste and correct seasonings.

Add peas if you like.  Serve as in a bowl, or over rice or noodles or mashed
potatoes.

Jan