Re: beans

In a message dated 7/5/2001 4:44:55 AM Pacific Daylight Time, MCBEAGS@xxxxxxx
writes:

<< How do you treat raw beans to dispel gas causing properties?  All I've
ever
 heard of is changing the soaking water frequently.  Is there some other
 method?

I've heard that some folks soak the beans overnight in water and baking soda,
then soak and rinse the beans a couple of time before cooking. I javen't
tried this method. Could someone comment on it if they have prepared their
beans this way?

 For that matter, I wonder a bit about this notorious bean problem.  I eat
 beans fairly frequently (not usually every day, but certainly a couple of
 times a week), and whether canned or cooked up from dried, I just don't find
 this to be a problem for me.  Perhaps its a matter of eating them often
 enough to accustom your system to them?  I don't know, just wondering.

You are one of the fortunate ones, you have a good digestive system. When I
was a young person, I could eat virtually anything without a problem. Now,
not only beans, but many other types of foods cause me distress. Foods heavy
in sugar can be a problem if I eat too much, and other foods one would not
imagine would cause gas do. Nope, one does not become accustomed to eating
beans and the problem goes away...wish it were so. Believe me, the problem is
not "a figment of one's imagination." It is a very real problem. For some, a
small annoyance. For others, quite rampant and terrible.