Re: Lentil and spinach stew?

On Mon 08 Jan 2001, RubyTues59@xxxxxxx wrote:
> I tried to visit Persian's link in the last digest but came up empty

The link was slightly wrong, as has already been pointed out. I just
checked, though, and I actually got the recipe from Ruth Hoffman on
here in the first place! The direct link to the recipe is

    http://www.ox.compsoc.net/~kake/cookery/recipes/lentil-spinach-stew.html

and I have also appended it below. It really is a most excellent
recipe. Thanks, Ruth, if you are still about!

Kate

LENTIL-SPINACH STEW

This recipe was posted on the Fatfree mailing list by Ruth
Hoffman. This is pretty much as Ruth posted it; I've only made a few
changes to the presentation and ingredients, and added measurement
conversions. It's a fairly simple recipe, but really delicious.

Serves 5

1 medium onion, chopped
vegetable stock to saute
5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
175g (6oz, 1 cup) split red lentils, rinsed
1 (400g, 14oz) can chopped tomatoes (with juice)
4 tsp stock powder (or equivalent stock cube)
1 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce, or dark soy sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp ground fennel seed
1 bay leaf
2 medium carrots
250g (9oz) fresh or frozen chopped spinach
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar

Saute the onion in vegetable stock until soft but not browned. When
the onion is soft, add the garlic, lentils, tomatoes, stock powder,
Worcestershire / soy sauce, salt, thyme, fennel and bay leaf to the
pan, along with 900ml (32 fl oz, 4 cups) water.

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover pan, and simmer for about 20
minutes, until the lentils have started to break up. Stir
occasionally.

Meanwhile, peel the carrots and chop into 1 cm (1/2 inch) cubes. If
using fresh spinach, wash, remove large stalks and chop roughly.

Add the carrots and spinach to the pan. Stir until mixed, and until
frozen spinach has defrosted. Cover and simmer a further 15 minutes,
or until lentils and vegetables are cooked. Remove bay leaf and stir
in vinegar.

NOTES:

This ends up tasting fairly tomato-ey. Use only 1/2 can if
you're not too fussed on tomato flavour.

It also ends up fairly soupy - if you want it thicker, leave it
until the next day to thicken, or use less water, or remove the lid
for the last 10 minutes to allow water to evaporate.

Using frozen chopped spinach gives a more homogeneous texture -
fresh spinach will be in larger pieces. I sometimes like a mixture of
the two.

--
Vegan fatfree recipes at http://www.ox.compsoc.net/~kake/cookery/fatfree.html