Re: Lentil and spinach stew?

Hi, all,

I tried to visit Persian's link in the last digest but came up empty, so I thought I'd throw in *my* favorite lentil and spinach stew recipe.  I posted it on Veggies Unite! some time ago and I know Michelle is working hard to get our recipes in the archives.  :)

Lentil and Spinach Stew

Ingredients:

1 lb lentils
1/3C brown rice
1 onion, chopped
2T broth
1 10oz. package frozen chopped spinach, thawed but not drained
about 1 1/2C Italian tomato sauce (or paste)
1/2t garlic powder, optional
salt to taste
Directions:

Rinse the lentils and add along with the rice to 7 cups of boiling water. Cook until barely tender, 15-20 mins. Meanwhile, fry the onion in the broth until just starting to turn brown. Add the onion and spinach to the lentils and simmer, covered, for 15 mins. Add the tomato sauce and garlic powder and simmer another 5-10 mins. or until the rice is done.

Easy, cheap, healthy and yummy - how can you lose?