Lasagna

For Sunny.
There's a hearty Vegetarian Lasagna in the Archives - but I haven't tried
it. However, below is one of my favorites.

Spinach Lasagna - Adapted from Live Longer Now Quick Weight Loss Program
Serves 10

20 oz. frozen chopped spinach, thaw &drain well, (or 2 bunches fresh)
1 lb. lasagna noodles
2 small onions chopped
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 large green pepper, chopped
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
28 oz. can tomatoes, with half the liquid in can
1 tsp. oregano flakes
1 tsp. basil flakes
2 1/2 cups fat-free ricotta (or cottage cheese)
2 egg whites or 1/4 cup egg substitute
1 cup grated fatfree Parmesan
1 Tbs. parsley flakes
1/2 tsp. pepper
bread crumbs (optional)

If using fresh spinach wash leaves thoroughly and remove stems; wilt spinach
by placing in colander and then plunging in hot water 10 seconds; chop
wilted spinach fine.
Prepare noodles; cook and drain.

Prepare sauce: saute onions, mushrooms, green pepper and garlic in 3 Tbs.
water; add the canned tomatoes and juice after chopping 2 or 3 seconds in
blender; add basil and oregano; simmer 30 minutes; then add spinach.

Prepare cheese mixture: mix ricotta (or cottage cheese) with egg whites,
then add cheese, parsley flakes and pepper.

Prepare lasagna for baking: place one third of the noodles in the bottom of
a baking dish 13"x9"x2"; layer in one third of cheese mixture followed by
one third of sauce; repeat process twice more, using up all of the noodles,
cheese mixture, and sauce. Top with bread crumbs (I never have used the
bread crumbs) and bake at 350F for about 30 minutes. Serves 10
(Can be made ahead of time - increase baking time to 45 to 50 minutes.)

Can also use a mixture of fatfree grated mozzarella cheese and parmesan (1/2
and 1/2) rather than all parmesan (I prefer this).
The last time I made this I used 28 oz. can of chopped tomatoes in puree
plus an 8 oz. can of tomato sauce. This worked out very well.
Hope you try this as it's really very good - if quite a bit of work.

Patty in AZ