Baked Ziti Goes Southwest

I've been planning to make this for two weeks and finally got around to it today and we enjoyed it. The fat free cheese did not taste too plasticy. I think that next time I will add a cup of black or pinto beans and then add more salsa to keep the same consistency as the original.

Kathleen

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                        Baked Ziti Goes Southwest

Recipe By     : The Meatless Gourmet: Easy Lowfat Favorites by Hinman
Categories    : None

   8      ounces        ziti pasta -- uncooked
   8      ounces        tomato sauce
                        (salt-free or regular)
   8      ounces        salsa -- (hot or mild)
     3/4  cup           fat free ricotta cheese
   1      cup           fat free mozzarella cheese -- (4 ounces)
  11      ounces        canned corn -- drained
   4      ounces        chopped green chiles -- drained
   1      teaspoon      dried oregano
     1/8  teaspoon      pepper
   1      tablespoon    fat free Parmesan cheese -- grated

Cook pasta according to package directions, using the shorter amount of cooking time given. Drain.

Preheat oven to 375F.

Lightly oil an 8-inch square baking pan or spray with nonstick cooking spray.

Combine tomato sauce and salsa in a small bowl.

In a large bowl, combine the ricotta cheese with half of the mozzarella cheese. Stir in half the sauce, along with the corn, chiles, oregano, and pepper. Add the cooked ziti and mix well. Spoon into prepared casserole.

Spread remaining sauce over top of casserole, then sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese and then Parmesan cheese.

Cover and bake 20 minutes.  Uncover and continue to bake 15 more minutes.

Quick tip: This entire casserole can be prepared a day ahead and baked when needed. You will need to remove it from the refrigerator about an hour before baking and add about 20 minutes to the (covered) baking time.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 25029 25022 0 0 0 0 25023