Re: FATFREE Digest V00 #160 Minnesota veggie spots

Karen and Ben:
You'll have no problem eating vegetarian and healthy here in St. Paul if
you like Asian food.  There is about a 2-mile stretch of University
Avenue just west of the Capitol on which you can find every Asian
business imaginable including Hmong, Vietnamese, Laotian, and Thai
restaurants.  All of them have vegetarian entrees.  My old reliable
favorite is Mai Village (422 University, corner of Western).  It has
probably a dozen veggie dishes, plus delectable veggie egg rolls &
spring rolls.  Also, if you get an English-speaking server, you can get
other dishes adapted -- let's say, by leaving out the oyster sauce.

We are getting quite a few Indian restaurants lately.  My fave so far is
India Palace (2570 N. Cleveland).  It's in an old Bob's Big Boy on the
corner of County Road C and Cleveland in Roseville (just north of St.
Paul).  The servers are delightful, the food is fantastic, and you will
almost certainly leave with tomorrow's lunch in a little box.

There are getting to be quite a few Middle Eastern places, particularly
in Northeast Minneapolis.  While in St. Paul, you can pick up lots of
delectable heat & eat morsels at Spiro Mediterranean Market, which is on
University Avenue (in the 1800s block, I think).

Plus we have about 6-8 food coops in the Twins.  My personal favorite is
Hampden Park Co-op, where I am a working member, on Raymond, three
blocks north of University.  There is also the wonderful new Mississippi
Market co-op on the corner of Selby and Dale, which has lots of take-out
veggie & vegan fare.

Tell someone to get you a recent copy of the City Pages newspaper.  It
has extensive food listings which will give you horrible dilemmas, but
what fun!  Ellen

Response to: