Roux for cheese sauce

I am in a cauliflower and cheese phase at the moment, where I
steam/microwave cauliflower, cover it with a cheese sauce and put it in the
oven covered with a few breadcrumbs.  Delicious!

I am trying to lower the fat content of the cheese sauce, and can do so
using skim milk, low fat cheese and a lot less cheese than I used to, but
the sauce has always begun with a roux made from flour and margarine.  This
mixture ensures that the sauce thickens as the milk heats up in the
saucepan.

I wonder if there is some way I can omit the margarine from this recipe?
Does cornflour work for thickening such sauces?  If so, how much and when is
it put in in the heating process?

Thanks for all your help

Kirsten

Kirsten Andrews