RE Onion Help!

> My DH is allergic to the onion family! He must avoid onions,
>garlic, leeks, and asparagus. . . I need suggestions on seasonings
>-- especially in dishes that are heavy on garlic/onions like stir
>"fry" (which started with a soy sauce and water saute of a chopped
>onion and 4 cloves of garlic!)

Asafetida (or asafoetida), which comes from several plants in the parsley
family, is used as a substitute by adherents of an Eastern religion with a
dietary prohibition against onions and/or garlic. Many years ago I bought
some ground asafetida in a small tin at a natural foods store. It was
better than the dictionary definition implied, but definitely not as
satisfying as the onion and garlic.