Asparagus

We love asparagus and I sometimes buy it in bulk at Costco because we don't
mind eating it 2-3 nights in a row.

When I buy asparagus, I look for thin stalks because the larger the
asparagus gets, the tougher it gets. I rinse the asparagus, trim the bottom
of the stalks (usually and inch or so---I feed these pieces to our dog and
she thinks that they are a really special treat) and, if the skin looks a
bit tough, I peel the skin about and 1-2 inches up the stalk.

Put the asparagus in a microwave safe dish, add a couple of tablespoons of
water, squeeze some lemon juice over the stalks, and place 2-3 lemon slices
directly on the stalks. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 2 1/2-3
minutes (you'll have to play with the time depending on how much asparagus
you are preparing and how powerful your microwave is). The asparagus should
still be firm to the touch when it is done. It will also be a brighter
green color.

We often just eat the asparagus plain, but when I want to dress it up a bit
I use the following yogurt topping (for a stronger orange flavor and a
richer texture, use orange juice concentrate instead of orange juice):

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

               Simply Wonderful Orange Sauce for Asparagus

Recipe By     : Taste of Home Magazine, April/May 1999
Categories    : Condiments                       Low Fat

     1/4  cup           plain nonfat yogurt
   2      tablespoons   nonfat mayonnaise
   2      tablespoons   orange juice
   1      teaspoon      orange peel -- grated
   1      dash          cayenne pepper
                        orange slices -- for garnish,
                        -- (optional)
                        orange peel -- for garnish,
                        -- (optional)

Combine yogurt, mayonnaise, orange juice, orange peel, and cayenne. Serve
asparagus and top with orange sauce.  Garnish with orange slices and peel
if desired.

This recipe makes enough sauce for 2 pounds of fresh asparagus.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Weight Watchers points per serving: 1/2

This sauce is wonderful! Really dresses up the asparagus and makes you feel
like you're eating something sinful. Changed original recipe to use nonfat
yogurt and mayonnaise.

You can begin the sauce even after you start cooking the asparagus!

This was the highlight of our Easter meal this year! No one could resist
this light, creamy sauce.  It made the entire plate look elegant.  My
thanks go to Taste of Home field editor Cathee Bethel of Lebanon, Oregon,
for recommending it.

I know that a lot of people use special asparagus steamers, but I refuse to
add more clutter to my kitchen than I already have (especially for an
implement that is used for only one thing).  :-)  I thought the idea of
using the old white coffee pot with the blue flowers was funny---my mom
used one of those coffee pots for eons, but never prepared anything but
coffee in it!

Enjoy your asparagus,
Bethann

Bethann D. Merriam          		Senior Technical Editor
(408) 371-8834			Cisco Systems, Inc.

Have regular hours for work and play; make each day both
useful and pleasant, and prove that you understand the worth
of time by employing it well.
 	  ---Louisa May Alcott