Italian links

The Italian sausage links made by Lightlife are wonderful. The package
can be frozen with no ill effects.  They seem soft when you take them
out of the package, be careful when doing that.  I like them best pan
fried until browned.  The links firm up when cooked but unfortunately
they soften again if they sit in sauce.  I add them at the last minute
to my pasta.  I think they would get lost in lasagna or mixed dishes.
They are a little delicate in flavoring, but make a great sausage
sandwich with onions, mushrooms, and tomato sauce.

For Franca, this is a recipe for soy milk where you can make small
batches at a time.

Soy Milk

Soak 2 cups raw soybeans in 2 quarts of water overnight.  After soaking,
bring beans and water to a full rolling boil in a large kettle.  Lower
heat and simmer 5 minutes longer.  Pour off foamy liquid and add cold
water to stop boiling/cooking process.  When cool, drain off water.
Yields 1 quart of prepared soybeans.  Freeze beans in 1 cup quantities,
ready for making up fresh soy milk.  Before using rinse frozen beans
with hot water to thaw quickly.

Blend 3 cups water with one cup of thawed, prepared soybeans until
smooth.  It may take a couple of minutes in a blender.  Strain liquid
out through fine cheese cloth (save pulp to use in roasts or patties).
Stir in 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 1/8th teaspoon of salt, if desired.

I don't like my soy milk sweet or vanilla flavored so I don't bother.  I
also don't add salt.  You could cut this recipe in half and have a much
smaller quantity.  The beans really foam up so be sure to use a large
stock pot and stir, stir, stir.  If you or your loved ones have
sensitive digestion I would avoid the okara (bean pulp) unless you have
lots of Beano on hand.

I also make my own tofu with a recipe from Connie Delaney of the
Spincraft Pattern Newsletter.  Her address is <http://spindling.com>.

Happy milking ( I milked a dairy goat for 10 years, now I milk beans),
Barbara <austica@xxxxxxxx>