Sweet Red Pepper Spread/Baked Pita Chips

My sister sent me this pair of recipes.  She says they're from Low-Fat and
Luscious.  They were both!  We had this last evening for dinner, along with
other menu items that we don't talk about here.  :-)

Baked Pita Chips

6 thin, low-fat wholewheat pita rounds (the pocket kind)
nonstick spray
Mrs. Dash or other brand salt-free lemon pepper seasoning

Split pitas horizontally into large disks.  Spray each cut side (what was
the inside) with nonstick spray.  Sprinkle with seasoning.  Cut each round
into six wedges.  Spread wedges in single layer on baking sheet.  Bake at
350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes or till crisp.  Serve as dippers for Sweet
Red Pepper Spread or other dip.  Can keep in airtight container for a few
days--but they tend to disappear so this is a moot point.

Sweet Red Pepper Spread

12 oz. jar roasted sweet red peppers, drained
3 Tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp sugar
1-1/2 tsp snipped fresh thyme
1/4 tsp salt, or to taste
1/8 tsp garlic powder, or to taste
dash of ground cayenne pepper

Process roasted peppers in food processor till chopped fine.  Add remaining
ingredients, blend till nearly smooth.  Serve as dip for Baked Pita Chips.
Cover and refrigerate leftovers up to 1 week.  Servings: about 18 (a little
more than 1 cup).

My sister takes this to events and someone always asks her for the recipe.
We thought it was very good.  I used about 1/2 tsp of salt and about 1/4 tsp
of garlic powder, and a nice pinch of cayenne.

Enjoy!

Ruth

Ruth C. Hoffman    ruth.hoffman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Language Resources
138 Oak Street
Lake Zurich, IL  60047-1322
Tel: 847.726.1608
Fax: 847.726.1652

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes."  --Marcel Proust