Vegetable Lasagna

For some reason I didn't expect this lasagna to be very good, but made it
because I'm trying to do a lot of cooking with this cookbook and was in the
mood for lasagna.  But, it WAS very good.  I used fatfree soy mozzarella
cheese.  Spaghetti sauce comes in jars with almost 3 1/2 cups sauce.  I
opened a second jar to get the four cups sauce the recipe calls for, but
next time I will just use salsa for the additional sauce since we always
seem to have an opened jar of that.

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                            Vegetable Lasagna

Recipe By     : Vegetarian Cooking for Healthy Living, page 98
Serving Size  : 12   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Main Dishes, Vegetarian          Pasta, Couscous, Etc.
                Tried                            Vegetables
                Cheese

   1 1/2  cups          diced onions
   3      large         garlic clove -- minced
   4      cups          cooked and drained broccoli
                        cut in small pieces
   4      cups          spaghetti sauce
   1 1/2  cups          water -- divided
   1      teaspoon      dried basil
     1/2  teaspoon      dried oregano
     1/2  teaspoon      fennel seeds
     1/4  cup           chopped fresh parsley
   9                    uncooked lasagna noodles
  15      ounces        nonfat and low-cholesterol ricotta cheese
   1      cup           nonfat Mozzarella cheese
                        Nonfat cooking spray

KMS note: directions call for cooked broccoli, yet they also have
directions for cooking the broccoli.  I steamed the broccoli and then mixed
it with the sauteed onions and garlic.

9 X 13" BAKING PAN; 12 PORTIONS

The beauty of this lasagna is that that noodles cook as the lasagna is
baking, eliminating the need to handle the hot noodles which shortens the
preparation time.

Saute? onions and garlic in skillet sprayed with nonfat cooking spray.  Add
broccoli and about 3 tablespoons of water.  Steam covered to partially
cook.  Cook out excess water, if any.

In separate bowl, mix spaghetti sauce, remaining water, basil, oregano,
fennel seed and parsley.

Layering: Pour 1 cup sauce in bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.  Place 3
noodles on the sauce, spread with 1/2 of ricotta cheese.  Cover with
broccoli and onion mixture.  Add another layer of sauce.  Add 3 more
noodles, the rest of the ricotta, all of the Mozzarella and more sauce,
then the 3 remaining noodles and the remainder of the sauce.  Cover tightly
and bake at 350F for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until noodles are done.  Uncover
for the last 20 minutes of baking.  Let sit 10 minutes before serving.

Note: Select a spaghetti sauce with less than 1 g fat per 1/2 cup.

Nutrition information per serving: Calories: 170, Protein: 13.5,
Carbohydrate: 27.5, Fat: less than 1 g, Cholesterol: 3mg, Sodium: 347mg,
Fiber: 2g.  Dietary Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable and 1 very lean meat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 4294 0 206 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3878 25080 0 0