spraying fat

I don't know if anyone is as obsessive as I am, but I try not to use
"fat-free" spay when making muffins, (or anything else for that matter). I
just bake them in paper muffin liners, and accept that they will stick a
little. On a baking sheet, I spray a little and spread it around with a
paper towel.

According to my can of cooking spray, it is canola oil, and is fat free if
you use a "1/3 of a second spray". (I don't know about you, but I don't
think I can spray it for just 1/3 of a second, that's pretty fast!) When
listing fat content on a Nutrition label, rounding of numbers is allowed. I
figure 1/3 of a second is 0.4 grams of fat and is rounded DOWN to zero. That
is, of course how they can say it's "fat-free". (remember - the contents is
oil)

So, if you spray for 1 second, that's closer to 1.2 grams of fat. While I
realize that the food doesn't necessarily absorb 100% of the oil on the pan,
it's pretty close. I often wonder how many people (especially those people
that aren't as fat conscious as we are) use this product liberally thinking
"it's fat free!".

Fat free - food for thought,
Keith