Re: FATFREE Digest V99 #304

re: Fava Beans?

>I just bought Jay Solomon's Lean Bean Cuisine, and there are several recipes
>I would like to try that call for fava beans.  I can't find 'em anywhere!

   Ruth Hoffman asked for a source for Fava Beans. Sorry, don't know of a
source, per se, but you might look in an Italian market. Fava beans, as I
recall from my school days in Rome, are greatly enjoyed by Romans,
especially in the spring.
   They're large beans, and are often eaten raw, producing plates heaped
with their empty pods.
   'Fave'...says springtime/early summer, and family picnics in the country
to me.

Kathleen Wilson
Glenwood, Nova Scotia