Pesto

Pesto has come up a couple of times, so I am resending two recipes I tried to
send a month ago for fat-free "pesto" (I had the wrong address--I'm new). We
love pesto, but all my old recipes were WAY too high in fat (one recipe I
plugged into MasterCook was 81 percent calories from fat!). Therefore, I was
pleased that Dr. Ornish put a couple of fat-free "pesto" recipes in his diet
book (Eat More, Weigh Less). We've tried the Sun-Dried Tomato recipe, and
it's fabulous (it also keeps well). We haven't tried the other one yet, but I
include it anyway. Perhaps you could try these recipes with the umeboshi plum
vinegar to get the flavor without the olive oil/almond butter?

Katrina

-------------------

Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto

1/2 softened sun-dried tomatoes
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 teaspoon capers
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar (sic)
1 large fresh tomato, seeded

Put all ingredients in a blender and process at high speed until well-blended
and smooth.

Tomato and Basil Pesto
1 medium vine-ripened tomato
1/2 cup loosely packed basil leaves
2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
salt
freshly ground black pepper

Core the tomato and cut in half. Grill over very hot coals for only a few
minutes to take on some color and flavor. Remove from the grill and set aside
to cool.

Place the basil, parsley, and garlic in a food processor. Process until
smooth. Add the tomato, vinegar and lemon juice and process. Season with salt
and pepper to taste.