asoefatida

Yes, Shell, asoefatida, also called hing, does smell bad. But it is really
nice in recipes as it gives a dish an onion-like flavor. You don't use very
much, only about a pinch.

I have a tiny little spoon that holds about a pinch. A little bit lasts a long
time. I last bought it about 12 years ago and keep it in a well sealed brown-
colored bottle. The smell of asoefatida has been described in many ways, about
the politest is saying it smells like old socks. I wouldn't go as far as
saying I love it, but I like what it does to the flavor, so I just ignore the
smell. I love Indian cooking which is primarily where it's used.
Jan Bennicoff