Re: Cornbread recipe

At 3:19 AM -0700 8/15/99, fatfree-request@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>About 1 1/2 years ago I copied a FF cornbread recipe I thought from this
>>list...I have searched the archives for it but can't find it.
>>

>>For some reason I think it is a recipe by Jan Gordon and it contained
>>appelsauce and canned creamed corn.
>>
>>Does this recipe sound familiar to anyone?  If you have it, could you
>>please email it to me (or to the list <g>)?

Hi,

Here is a specia type of cornbread called "Johnny Cake" which I modified
from the original receipe by using applesauce.

JOHNNY CAKE (revised to be very low fat)

1/4 Cup Egg Beaters or equiv. of 1 egg any other egg replacer
1/2 Cup Sugar
4 Tablespoons Applesauce
1 t soda + 1 C sour milk* (or buttermilk)
1 teaspoon salt
11/2 Cup Flour
11/2 Cup Corn Meal

Mix all dry ingredients together, then add wet ingredients
and stir until throughly mixed.

Bake 15-20 minutes in 325-350 oven

Fills 2 Large Layer Cake pans

*you can make 1 cup of sour milk by adding 1 cup
of skimmed milk or soy milk to 3 Tablespoons vinegar.

Eating Hint:

Cut Johnny Cake into pie shaped pieces (6 per pan).  Then cut
a piece in half so that top is one-half and the bottom is the
other half.  Place on a plate and cover with (Maple) syrup.
Eat and enjoy! Mmmmm!

Note from Don Stowe: This receipe was adapted from one that my 97 yr old
mother had
in her receipe file and I think she got it from her mother.

Doris Stowe Weber

K-College Neighborhood

Regards,
Don