Re: Frying Spices

Hello...I have successfully adapted my Indian recipes to as low fat
as possible.  I no longer fry the spices in the oil or ghee as instructed.

I made a simple dish you might like when you find yourself with too
much fresh spinach.  The bags always hold so much, and now gardens
will be producing soon.

I took a large non stick fry pan and added about 1/4 inch of water and
when it was simmering added about 1/2 teaspoon of mustard seed, stirred
this abit (they don't really need to pop) and then added 1 diced onion
and 3 cubed leftover baked potatoes and all the rest of the fresh spinach.
Probably 3 cups, but it cooks down so much.  Steam and stir till the
whole things is hot and the spinach is wilted down well. Salt and pepper to
or lemon-pepper is nice.  Serve with rice and a grated cuke-cumin-yogurt

This basic recipe is from an Indian woman at work, but she starts with
cubed raw potatoes and cooks in lots of oil with the spices.  Having the
pre-cooked potatoes really helped.