Re: Frying Spices

On Sun 25 Apr 1999, andy&shell <andy.shell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I haven't tried to make proper Indian food before, and coming a bit
> unstuck, as the recipes say only ghee will do.  How can I best adapt
> a recipe to fat free, when the initial instructions are to fry the
> various spices until they pop, etc.  I don't want to use a fry light
> spray.

If the spices are whole, you can toast them in a dry frying pan rather
than frying in oil. Don't burn them, though; not all spices will pop
using this method. Mustard seeds will; cumin will burn before
popping. Just get them so the rawness is cooked out and they smell

For ground spices, if you mix them with just enough water to form a
stiff paste and leave for about 10 minutes to absorb the liquid, they
will cook happily in a very small amount of liquid, which allows you
to cook them without getting a "boiled" flavour but also without