kasha - how to prepare

I recently purchased KASHA at my HFS, and my dad gave me some frome a regular
store.  I cooked it per directions (2 c water to 1 c toasted kasha; simmer 10
- 12 minutes) but it had a chemical-odor to it, and it had the same
chemical/bitter taste to it - which is too bad, because I really like the
fluffy texture.  Kasha from both sources had the same smell/flavor, so I
conclude it is inherent in the product.  Does anyone have advice about  this?

Thanks,   Julie in Kalamazoo