Re: Baked Carrots, Turnips and Rutabagas

On Tue,  3 Mar 98 12:40:29 -0500 staecker@xxxxxxxxxx (Susan Staecker)
writes:
>what's the difference between a turnip and a
>rutagaga? I have used a hard roundish vegetable,
>sort of orange and purple and waxed on the
>outside with orangish flesh.

Both are root vegetables. In New York, where I live, a turnip is small,
around the size of a golf ball to a tennis ball, white, sometimes a
little purple near the leaves. The leaves are delicious when steamed or
sauteed with garlic.  Turnips are quite sweet (especially the Japanese
varieties) and can be eaten raw and unpeeled, like an apple.
Rutabegas (also known as Swedes) are larger, pale yellow or orange.  They
are a cross between a turnip and a cabbage.  Around here they are
generally sold waxed, with the leaves removed, are valued for their long
storage ability, and although they are ok when cooked, taste pretty
terrible raw.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]