I've found treasure!!!!

Hello everyone,
    Thanks to all who sent recipes for shiitake mushrooms.Actually it
was a disaster as my server was down for 5 days and by the time I went
to use them they had gone off.At least I think that's what that smell
was :0)
  Anyway I think I have struck gold!I'm always complaining that I can't
get the variety of things available to you all here in my part of the
UK,well a big super/hyper market has just opened fairly close by and
today I bought
a) sweet potatoes
b)buttnut (should that be butternut?)squash
c)acorn squash
d)bird eye chillies
e) liquid smoke
But I don't know what to do with them.I'm going to have a good look in
the archives but any tried and tested, good old faithful recipes will be
greatly appreciated.Are sweet potatoes more of a dessert type thing than
a dinner vegetable?Please e-mail me privately if you don't think this is
list appropriate!
Many thanks
Regards
Maralyn