ice cream

Betsy asked about ice cream made with fat free milk.  I have had success
with the following recipe that I found at Eating Well's website
(http://eatingwell.com/recipes).  Here in Switzerland we don't have such
things as sweetened condensed milk made with skimmed milk, so I made my
own - the recipe follows that for ice cream.

Lemon Ice Cream

1 14-ounce can nonfat sweetened condensed milk
2 cups low-fat milk
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
1/8 teaspoon salt

In a mixing bowl, whisk together sweetened condensed milk, milk, lemon
juice, lemon zest and salt. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to
the manufacturer's directions. (Alternatively, freeze the mixture in a
shallow pan until solid, about 6 hours. Break into chunks and process in
a food processor until smooth). Makes about 1 quart.

Sweetened Condensed Milk

1 cup powdered dry skimmed milk
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup hot water

Put above ingredients in blender and process until smooth -- or set in a
pan of hot water and stir until dissolved.  Equals one can of the
commercial stuff.

Enjoy!

Victoria Reed (who is now leaving to cool off with a swim in the lake)