tofu question

I have a question about tofu? Which is better the tofu that comes
refrigerated in the store or the tofu that does not need to be refrigerated
until after you open it? What is the difference between the fresh tofu and
the tofu that lasts a year or so if not opened? Which works better in
recipes? I just decided to try and start cooking tofu. I bought the Mori-Nu
lite firm and extra firm tofu. I got the kind that does not have to be
refrigerated until after you open it. Any help would be appreciated along
with simple easy to make one person tofu dishes.

Danielle