Re: Vegetarian Weddings

On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, Lori Scott wrote:

> I recently became engaged and I was hoping that you all could give me
>some suggestions.  I want to have an inexpensive reception without meat
>that meat lovers will like.  Any menu suggestions?  I would appreciate
>any help that any of you could give me.

I think pastas work well to satisfy meat eaters.  At my inexpensive
wedding reception two years ago, we had vegetarian lasagna, lettuce salad,
fruit salad, and good crusty bread.  We saved a lot of money by making the
lasagnas ourselves (but we had access to an industrial size kitchen and
had lots of family willing to help).  Actually we made pretty much all the
stuff ourselves in advance, and just hired people to do the serving.  It
saves a lot of money, but I realize that's not something that most people
are willing to do.
Anyway, the lasagna went over well, I think.  We didn't use nearly the
amount of cheese that most people do, but we did use some, so it probably
ended up being low fat but not very low fat.  I think stuffed shells or
manicotti (stuffed with low fat ricotta and/or cottage cheese) would also
go over well.

Good luck, and congratulations!

Susan Lehman
UNC-Chapel Hill