Fennel, leek, and orzo soup

I just tried this from a cookbook I got for Christmas:  a totally FF recipe in
the middle of a SAD cookbook (Recipes 1-2-3, Rozanne Gold).  Here, with my
comments in (()):

4 cups finely diced fennel (1 large bulb, about 1 1/2 lb) ((we got one pretty
large bulb, didn't weigh it, came to 2 cups))

1 large bunch leeks (3 large leeks), enough to make 4 cups finely diced
((yup))

1 cup uncooked orzo  ((pasta that looks like rice))

Cut off the fennel fronds from the fennel bulb and reserve for ganrish.
Remove any brown spots from the fennel bulb, dice.
Clean the leeks thoroughly and dice finely--you should have 4 cups.
Put 8 cups of water in a large, heavy pot and bring to a boil.  Add the
fennel, leeks, and orzo and 1 1/2 tsp salt.  Lower the heat, cover, and simmer
50 minutes.
With a large ladle, remove 4 cups of soup from the pot and puree until smooth
in a food processor.  Return the soup to the pot and continue to cook,
uncovered, over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes.  Add salt and freshly ground
black pepper to tast.  Chop the fennel fronds aund use them for garnish ((we
skipped all this, but did find some salt and a couple drops of hot pepper
stuff were good in it.  They also suggested Parmesan cheese; you could add FF
Parmesan but I don't think it needs it)).
Makes 10 servings.

Well, obviously you could cut the recipe in half.  It gets thicker the next
day.