Onions without tears

To avoid tears keep the fumes which come off the onions from your eyes.

Many things work:

Michelle suggests goggles.  Some use a candle which when place near
the onion draws the fumes up with the hot air and away from your eyes.
I open a window (yes even at -40 which it is today but just a crack)
and turn on the fan in my stove hood.  This produces an air current
which keeps the fumes from my eyes when I cut the onions on the
counter beside the stove..  Some people peal under water.  Use
whatever works for you in your kitchen.

Barb Beck
barb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Edmonton Alberta Canada