Boring lunches, my favorite cookies and spag bol fix :-)

Hi everyone

I am in desperate need for some winter lunch ideas.  Preferably things that don't need
to be refridgerated.  I am really sick of tomato and cucumber sandwiches and they
are getting way too expensive ($8/kg for tomatoes - ouch!).

For those cookie fans out there here is my favourite chocolate cookie fix.  This
recipe is based on a basic cookie recipe from lightcooking.com.

Afghans (10)

1 cup 	flour
1 tsp 	Baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
2 	egg whites or subst for 1 egg.
1.5 Tbs unpacked brown sugar
1/2 Tbs	vanilla extract (immitation)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg, ground
2.5 Tbs Cocoa powder, unsweetened  (This is for a very very rich chocolate taste.)
1 cup	Cornflakes (I used Kellogg's as they were the lowest in fat)

1) Preheat oven to 190'C.
2) Mix egg whites, vanilla and sugars in a small bowl.
3) In a large bowl mix dry ingredients (incl. cornflakes).
4) Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients.  Mix carefully
as you don't want to crush the cornflakes too much.
5) Drop spoonfuls onto non-stick cookie tray and flatten a little if needed.
6) Cook for 12-15 minutes until lightly browned.
7) Make some chocolate icing (apple sauce, icing sugar, cocoa and water) and ice
cookies once cooled if you can wait that long.  You can top these with 1/2 a walnut
if you are feeling naughty ... but they really aren't needed!

This recipe can easily be doubled etc .... but I find that too dangerous as these
taste too good!

Per cookie: 3.5% Cal from fat, 85.3% Carbohydrates, 11.2% Protein, 84 Calories

I hope you enjoy this :-)

For those new vegetarians .. here is my quick spagetti bolanaise substitute:

Enough for 2.

1.5 cups canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained (or cooked)
3/4 can of pasta sauce
1 Tbs italian herbs
1/4 onion, finely diced
1/4 green pepper
100g spagetti (or however much you need)

May want to add garlic if there isn't enough in your pasta sauce.

1) Mash 3/4 of the beans.
2) Put all the ingredients except the spagetti in a non-stick frying pan and simmer
until heated through.  Stir every now and then.
3) Cook spagetti according to packet directions (I use 1/4 pkt per person).

Per serve (2 serves above): 7.1% Calories from fat, 76.1% Carbohydrates, 16.8% Protein,427 Calories.

Enjoy :-)

Thanks for all your great ideas and recipes people :-)

Phil :-)

Philippa Martin BE (HONS)
PhD Student,
Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering,
University of Canterbury,
Private Bag 4800,
Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND.

Phone: wk. [64](3) 364-2987 extn 7034