Spicy Rice with Black-Eyed Peas

I can't make up my mind whether the first ingredient is 2 cups of brown
rice - and then cook the rice or 2 cups of already cooked brown rice. I
usually have trouble with rice - don't know why but please straighten me
out. If it was two cups of instant rice I'd just throw it in and not think
about it, but two cups of raw brown rice seems like a lot for just 5
servings. Thanks. Patty