Food for children

I am looking for some good sources of recipes for children - in particular
cakes and cookies - that have moderate amounts of sugar and fat and are
generally more nutritious than what I have seen.  Maybe some fruity things
with no refined sugar?  Vegan dessert recipes?  Some of the recipes I use
for desserts from this list have more sugar than I would like for a child.
Any book or website recommendations?  I just made a traditional SAD birthday
cake, and the ingredients were frightening!!!

On a related topic, how well does rice/soy milk substitute for dairy when
baking?  I am interested in moving more vegan.

Barbara