Roasted Chickpeas

I really love the roasted chickpea recipe that was posted.  However, it
gets kind of expensive using canned beans.  Does anyone know the correct
way to cook the beans?  I have never had much luck making beans.  I've
thrown out any dish I've made with home-cooked beans because they are
always mushy or hard or yucky in some way.  I know people on this list say
a pressure cooker is the best way to make beans, but I don't usually eat
enough to need one.  So, any hints on cooking garbonzo beans so I can make
roasted chickpeas.

Thanks,

Susan

The purpose of life is eating bagels.