Veggie Burgers!

After several unsuccessfull attempts I have made a good tasting veggie
burger that holds together:

Great northern bean burgers:

2 cups well cooked great northern beans (small white beans similar to navy
beans)
2 cups cooked brown rice
2 grated carrots
2 garlic cloves crushed
1/2 onion minced finely
1/2 tsp ground sage
1/2 tsp ground oregano
1/4 cup chopped corriander (cilantro)
1 tbsp miso (I used mugi a red miso containing soybeans and barley.  It has
a strong rich taste). (Substituting soy sauce also works)/
1/4 very finely chopped green veggies (eg brocoli etc)
1/4 cup finely chopped mushrooms

Using my Braun hand blender (my most used gadget) I mushed 3/4 of the rice
and beans till they had the texture of refried beans (perhaps a bit more
chunky) then added all the other ingredients and let the mixture sit for
1/2 an hour.

I then formed the mixture into patties about the size of a commercial
garden burger and baked them on a nonstick cookie sheet for 25 minutes at
350F, turning once.  They had the best texture of all my attempts - just
like working with h*mburger!  They are done when they are golden brown and
crisp.  Divine with a dab of mustard and all the fixings.

The basic rice and bean mixture provides the texture that makes the burger work.

**I also made another Mexican flavored batch using corriander chile powder,
cumin and red peppers (capsicum).  Really yummy with a dab of salsa!**

** I'm also planning Thai flavored ones with thai basil, corriander,
chiles, lime, ginger, garlic, chopped green beans, spring onions (green
shallots) and vegetarian red curry paste.  (The result should be similar to
the Tod Man Pla fish cakes I loved so much...sigh).**

      Laura Barwick
      Canberra, ACT, Australia