special dinners

On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, Ivette Gibbe wrote:

> >...I would like to ask one request. My boyfriend and I eat ff,
> >and we will be celebrating our anniversary soon and I would like to make a
> >very nice dinner for him. You know candle light and that.

Well, for Valentine's last year, my husband made artichokes for an
appetizer, and jerk tofu with roasted vegetables and garlic mashed
potatoes for the entree.  Some of the recent suggestions for Thanksgiving
meals might also be nice--squash or pumpkins stuffed with pilafs, that
sort of thing.  Though I usually have just a single dish for supper most
nights, for fancy dinners, it's nice to have a "main item" and side
dishes.  Side dishes shouldn't be too hard to figure out, so choosing the
semi-fancy main dish will be your main task.
For the dessert, my husband made a pineapple frozen yogurt type thing
(yes, he's great), which I think was a lot of work.  Poached pears would
probably be good and elegant.  Hmmm, I had a brown sugar angel food cake
with blueberry sauce last year which was the best angel food cake I've
ever had.  I didn't make it myself, so it might not have been completely
fatfree, but I don't see how you would add fat to angel food cake.  It
was from Martha Stewart, and I can get my friend to give me the recipe if
you want it.

Good luck!

Susan Lehman
UNC-CH